Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
(Text as at 12/08/2007 10:17:46)
Evolutionary theory has been parodied by Christians, particularly with respect to probability and entropy.
- Firstly, the models generated by anti-evolutionists to demonstrate the "impossible odds" against the occurrence of evolution are straw men, for the following reasons :-
- More attention should be given to the marginal advantage given by intermediate states.
- Under the evolutionary model, the evolving organism (or at least its genes) does (or do) not have any "goal" in mind. Hence, our calculations should not be based on particular organs having arisen by chance, but on any organ arising that would confer an advantage on the possessor.
- Attention should also be given to the "genetic takeover" theories of Cairns-Smith.
- Secondly, Entropy (a measure of thermodynamic disorder) is only constrained to increase within a closed system. The Earth, which receives energy from the Sun, is not a closed system, so localised increases in order do not violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.
|Note last updated
||Reference for this Topic
||482 (Problems - Bible Cosmogony - Evolution)
||Problems - Bible Cosmogony|
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2018