Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Web-Tools (2020 - December)
(Text as at 04/01/2021 19:40:48)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
Rationale for this Project
- This Project was alluded to briefly in a footnote on research methodology in my original Research Proposal1 under the head Research - Internet Technology2. When last at Birkbeck, I wrote a more extensive paper3 defending the Project and describing its rationale. Now that my PhD is in suspense, I have decided to take this Project further. There’s a lot to do: still quite a few items on the “wish list”. It is fairly critical as an enabler for my research, so I need to get a move on as I want it all out of the way before I re-start4 formal research.
- For documentation on my website (currently password protected) follow the links below:-
- Functional5 Documentation6.
- Technical7 Documentation.
- Other Websites8
- I’ve created and continue to maintain a small website for a music group Julie and I attend – the Enigma Ensemble.
- I established the Hutton Bridge Club Website in 11Q4 using the standard Bridgewebs service, but with a couple of competitions using my own routines. This was handed over in 15Q3, but I’ve taken it on again as of March 2020, not that there’s currently much to do. It needs a spring clean, but I’m waiting to see whether the club (and its members) survive the coronavirus pandemic.
- In 16Q3 I created the Mountnessing Bridge Club Archive website, using the vast bulk of the pages from their legacy site, as the club had moved to Bridgewebs and lost its historical data. As of March 2020 I’ve taken over the aforementioned Mountnessing Bridge Club website itself.
- Sometime around 2005, I created a website for Dr. Sophie Botros, one of my supervisors at Birkbeck, but we then lost touch and it got maintained (very badly) by some desktop support outfit. In 15Q2 I took it back on again and spruced it up a bit, and maintain it periodically until 19Q3, when it was taken on by a professional outfit, Bookswarm. The “Sophie Botros” link in this bullet is now to their version of the site.
- I created and / or ran a multitude of other bridge websites, but as of January 2018 I have either handed them over or mothballed them9:-
- In 15Q1, I took over the support and development of the Essex Contract Bridge Association (ECBA) website, which also uses Bridgewebs, but is very much larger. I wrote a lot of code10 to make this job less tedious. The site was handed over in 17Q4.
- For several years, I collected data11 on bridge activity in the Billericay/Brentwood area (initially needed for a project to set up a new consolidated club) by “scraping” data off web pages, consolidating it into a database and modelling it in various ways.
- I used this data to generate websites with a multitude of ladders for small clubs (Essex Bridge Results). These are now mothballed.
- I created and maintained a new website for the First Class Bridge Academy, giving it “small clubs” ladders (Bernie's Ladders Archive) as these were easy to maintain with little intervention.
- In 16Q3 I created the Mountnessing Bridge Club Archive website, using the vast bulk of the pages from their legacy site, as the club had moved to Bridgewebs and lost its historical data.
- I created a website12 for displaying the textual and grammatical analyses and appendices of Pete’s PhD on the Acts of the Apostles: Acts: Test Site.
Summary of Progress during October - December 2020
Website (Total Hours = 127)
- I spent 128.75 hours in 20Q4 on this Project, or related work (128.75 hours YTD, where for "YTD" - Year to Date - I mean the (academic) year that commenced in October 2020). That's 98.8% of the planned effort (98.8% YTD). Overall, 19% of my Project effort in the Quarter was directed towards this project (making 19% YTD) - as against 18.5% planned (18.5% YTD).
- I was just about on budget in 20Q4 Time well spent, too.
- Completed items included:-
- Own Website:
- Modified CreatePapersWebTable to show BookPaperAbstract for Papers that are really Books
- Changed CreateBookPaperAbstractsWebPages so that - while a full re-gen uses the new method - re-gen for a particular book uses the old method (without the materialised view). This is so cmdRecalculate_Click - which takes several minutes - doesn't need to be run beforehand. Created BookPaperAbstracts_List_Regen_Old.
- Upgrade Auto_Reference_Notes to save Notes_To_Regen to a new table prior to the run, add new rows to this table, and copy it back after the run. Finally, allow the option of regenerating these Notes. In the interim, use Notes_To_Regen to create Note 87413, then clear it before the copy-back.
- Created Language Animadversion Note14 & Functors (Functor_21, Options 11 & 12)
- Amended OutputNotesWebPage to suppress 'Summary of Note Links to this Page' for internal links. Involved changes to SQL within the Sub. Also, needed to suppress links from the paper used to record time on this Note: Amended Notes_Cited_By_Papers_List. It might have been best to suppress these lins being created in the first place; not sure of the ramifications.
- Upgraded Auto_Translate_Reference_Notes to log actions to Auto_Translate_Reference_Notes_Actions & report using query Auto_Translate_Reference_Notes_Actions_List for action
- Add option in Auto_Reference_Notes to automatically ignore words containing certain strings that include the key-word (eg. ignore 'grace' and 'trace' when indexing 'race')
- Added option in Auto_Reference_Notes to allow an updating run restricted to 'Read' (or at least half-read) Books / Papers only (useful for very long lists)
- Created a Functor that reports which Notes which Functors (including which options) appear in, in both Functor and Note sequence. For use in Website Generator Documentation - Functors15.
- System Resources Exceeded - "Run Time Error 3035" - re-emerged in Full_Link_Same_Directory_Gen. Last month I had replaced query Full_Link_Same_Directory_Updt with identical SQL, which had worked OK. This time I removed the "WHERE" statements and put them in the code itself. Seems fine.
- Website - Progress to Date16: Group items in the same period / category together, as in Status: Priority Task List17. Ie.
- Functor_02 - Completed Items - Date Sequence
- Functor_05 - Completed Items - Category Sequence
- Website - Outstanding Developments18: Group items in the same period / category together, as in Status: Priority Task List19. Ie.
- Functor_03 - Completed Items - Priority Sequence
- Functor_04 - Outstanding Items - Category Sequence
- Consolidated Site-Hits:
- Reviewed Webalizer Methodology & Consolidated Stats
- Aggregated Robot URLs
- Other Websites:
- Full details for 20Q4 are given below20:-
Website Others (Total Hours = 1.75)
- Website - Development (Total Hours = 110.5)
- Todman (Theo) - Tottering Towers & Listing Buildings: Add / annotate photos of Coxes Farm to Timeline (2.75 hours)
→ See "Todman (Theo) - Tottering Towers & Listing Buildings" (2.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Page for Oboe practice21: Add Audio Links (2.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Auto_Reference_Notes: allow updating run restricted to 'Read' Books / Papers (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Regen_Note_Links failing for Note 117022 (1.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add extra links to Summary Time Status Reports (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Add option in Auto_Reference_Notes to allow an updating run restricted to 'Read' Books / Papers only (1.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add option in Auto_Reference_Notes to automatically ignore words containing certain strings (15.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add option in Auto_Reference_Notes to avoid duplicate key on Auto_Reference_Notes_Actions (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Amend Auto_Reference_Notes to avoid HTML Tags (1.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Amend Auto_Reference_Notes to use Notes_To_Regen_Temp (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Amend OutputNotesWebPage to suppress 'Summary of Note Links to this Page' for internal links (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Consolidated Site-Hits: Aggregate Robot URLs (3.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Consolidated Site-Hits: Review Webalizer Methodology & Consolidate Stats (10.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Create Language Animadversion Note23 & Functors (Functor_21, Options 11 & 12) (21 hours)
- Website - Generator - Document Auto-Cross-Referencing (8.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Document Functors (2.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Explanatory Note for zero-time 'Read' items (2.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Fix Year-End roll-over issues (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Fixes re Broken Links revealed by Spider (1.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Functors: Document (Issues with Nesting, Etc) (9 hours)
- Website - Generator - Group items in the same category together in Website Progress Reports (9.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve CreateBookPaperAbstractsWebPages efficiency for single book (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Modify CreatePapersWebTable to show BookPaperAbstract for Papers that are really Books (4 hours)
- Website - Generator - Spider - Recreate WebRefs_Mapper Msgbox Suppression (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Spider - System Resources Exceeded - "Run Time Error 3035"; SQL in Full_Link_Same_Directory_Gen (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Update Development Log in the light of recent activities (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Upgraded Auto_Translate_Reference_Notes to log actions to Auto_Translate_Reference_Notes_Actions (3.75 hours)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development" (107.75 hours)
- Website - Education
- Website - Infrastructure (Total Hours = 9.75)
- Microsoft Windows 10 / MS Office - Releases, Bugs & Periodic Re-boots (2.75 hours)
- PC Backups / OneDrive (1 hour)
- Problems with Kaspersky Password manager - Uninstalled (1 hour)
- Reboots: Mouse problems! (0.25 hours)
- Renew Kaspersky on own & Julie's laptops (0.25 hours)
→ See "Admin - Website - Admin & Maintenance" (5.25 hours)
- Upgrade & Re-install PDFElement (0.5 hours)
- XMas Mug - photos & formatting (0.5 hours)
- XMas Newsletter - photos & formatting (3.5 hours)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development" (4.5 hours)
- Website - Maintenance (Total Hours = 5.75)
- 20Q3 Status Reports (1.25 hours)
- Website - Periodic Full Regeneration (2.75 hours)
- Website - Run Web Spider (1.75 hours)
- Website Others - Hutton DBC Maintenance
- Website Others - Mountnessing DBC Maintenance
Plans for the Near Future
The Plan below is taken automatically from the Priority 1 items on my Development Log, as published in my Outstanding Developments24 Report. I’ve maintained the weekly allocation at 10 hours. This is to allow further work on my Cross-Referencing project.
- Own Website: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Compact and Repair Problems
- On compacting and repairing my main database I sometimes get the error "The query cannot be completed. Either the size of the query result is larger than the maximum size of a database (2 GB), or there is not enough temporary storage space on the disk to store the query result".
- It happens 3 times while the database is re-opening.
- There is lots of space, and the database is only 600Mb (and the error started when it was under 500Mb).
- This mostly happens after I've run long processes, so I usually close the database, re-open it and then try the compact and repair. Usually this works, but not always. But I then try again and the message disappears.
- I strongly suspect that this is MS Access itself re-indexing tables, and blowing up a temporary database, but I can’t find any evidence for this on-line. Or help, other than suggestions to split databases and do other sensible things. Given that the error occurs when the database is re-opening, with no temporary file visible, is very strange.
- 17/04/20 - set MaxLocksPerFile to 1,000,000 (from the default 9,500). Sadly, it doesn't seem to have made a difference.
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Look into writing out specific object-identifiers, and linking thereto for Citations, rather than paragraph references. An issue is multiple instances of the same object in a document.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Fix Bug whereby PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-” Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Document the process!
- Document25, Repair & update my Website site-map
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Where possible, use ID rather than NAME for in-page hyperlinks
- Investigate Record-count discrepancies:-
- How do website files work as far as counts are concerned?
- Why aren't they recorded in Backup_History, nor the fact that the website was backed up?
- Different counts depending on whether new or old laptop is backed up. Investigate 63k discrepancy - lower on new laptop.
- Review architecture to improve performance; Need to document first
- Further improve the time to regenerate Book Summaries. Took about 22 minutes on 01/01/2021, but should be under 5 minutes!
- Investigate whether multiple Subject/Topic/Subtopic usage leads anywhere (ie. are just the first (of 3) actually used). Fix anything amiss.
- Reformat the BookCitings and PaperCitings pages:-
- Detail PaperCitings Pages: Include only useful information on the detail pages; but if there are multiple links from the same object, include them on the same line as 'extra links' as in BookCitings (copy the code: or, better, combine the two subs).
- Summary (Author Letter) pages: Include counts (as in Authors' Citations).
- Ensure uses the Cross_Reference table.
- Develop auto-reconciliation routines vs EBU results download
- Investigate the error reports from the Documenter, especially unused variables & queries.
- Provide Functional Documentation for Website Generator (using Notes)
- "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses": Membership cancelled, but plan what to do with the eBooks in my possession.
- Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World".
- Read "White (Ron) & Downs (Timothy Edward) - How Computers Work: The Evolution of Technology".
- iCloud for Windows: Re-install & solve 'The upload folder for iCloud Photos is missing' problem. Try on new Laptop.
- Add "Note Alternates" to Note pages.
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place.
- For use as "disclaimers" - eg. for "Plug Notes".
- For Thesis / essays: the difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- As part of the Cross-Referencing project, check out the consistent treatment of Note 87526, which should be universally ignored. Recently, links to it appeared on Book-Summaries, Book_Paper_Abstracts and Note_Book_Links, as a Note referencing a Book. The critical item was a row on the Note_Book_Links table.
- Determine why very long printable notes (eg. Level 3+ for Note 17027) are being truncated. Probably suppress them in any case, as they take far too long to load.
- Enhance Functors to work for selected non-temp Notes so that up-to-date stats can be incorporated. This is complex as I want to avoid production of an Archived Note each time a non-Temp Note is regenerated. I also want to ensure that Notes whose variable text consists entirely of Functors get archived correctly (which they might not if I removed Functor-generated text from Notes before saving them to the Notes table).
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- Investigate Note_Links: Section references seem to be incorrect
- Printable Notes: fix the bug whereby the “private” flag is round the wrong way.
- Split Aeon Page28 into multiple sub-pages (either by topic or by priority)
- Suppress the publication of the Printable versions of Temp Notes
- Upgrade Auto_Reference_Notes to reference Sub-Notes: Currently only affects one note - Somerset Maugham - so not yet urgent
- The monthly regeneration process for Paper Abstracts was still taking just over 5 hours. I thought it could not be fixed until the cross-referencing project is fully complete and documented. However, it spontaneously improved to 1.6 hours in the August 2020 run. Monitor! Last run: 1.72 hours on 01/01/2021.
- Develop software & procedure to make adding more content to the photos pages easier to undertake.
- Timeline software: Add photos for Holidays & Family History
- Determine why Recalculation & Changed Book/Papers produce unneeded regeneration.
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken Internal links and prevent recurrence.
- Correct the code so the problems discovered by the Spider don’t recur.
- Delete 'orphan pages' that are never linked to, ie. Use the Spider to prune redundant pages29 automatically where possible.
- Fix the historical data where errors are uncovered by the Spider. An easier task now the site has a full-regen function.
- Look into Sistrix Smart30. Errors and warnings itemised are:-
- Duplicate content: seems to be variants on theotodman.com
- Title Tags: Empty, too long, identical
- Page Not Found
- Filesize in excess of 1Mb
- Meta-Description: Empty
- Few words on Page
- H1: Not used, used multiple times per page, identical across pages
- Pictures: Alt attribute missing
Other Websites: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Webrefs_Update failing because IE loops with Aeon / Psyche pages. Currently doing manual checking - try to find an automated solution.
- Documentation & Bug-fixes: Phase 2
- Re-document the procedures in the light of recent changes.
- Resolve issues generated / revealed by the spider.
- Investigate - and fix where possible - broken links.
- Find a way of recording Missing Webrefs other than debug.print: create table, then suppress message for known problems
- Investigate items flagged as defunct. Populate Defunct_Explanation in WebRefs_Table. Consider use of FairUse (Link (Fair Use)) for documents no longer available that I'd downloaded.
- Investigate WebRefs with Issue = 'URL Translated OK': does the translation really work? How?
Summary of Progress to Date
This is hived off to various separate documents, which have now been harmonising and / or consolidated:-
- Summary of Progress to Date31.
- Outstanding Developments32,
- Functional Documentation33,
- A summary of time expended across the years developing my website34 is at "Software Development - Website - Development".
In-Page Footnotes:Footnote 4:
- Well, in a sense, I’ve missed the boat as I’m now putting effort into my research, though in an informal basis, so will need to continue with both projects in parallel.
- This was always likely to be necessary, as new features will always arise in use. It’s a prototype methodology, after all.
- This is very tedious to produce and consequently is both incomplete and out of date.
- This is much more fun, as it’s a purely technical task.
- I’ve written a vastly-improved general-purpose technical documenter for MS Access.
- It’s a shame to abandon the “mini websites” with all their ladders, as it’s rather well done.
- However, I couldn’t waste time on these after I’d abandoned bridge.
- In particular, for the ECBA “Victor Ludorum” competition.
- I cannot hand any of this code over, so the tedium will return, though not to me!
- I had agreed to share this data sometime early in 2018
- But will wait until asked again, as I doubt it’ll be of any real use to anyone.
- It used to exist in two versions, live and test.
- Pete decided not to renew the license for the live site, now it has achieved its purpose, so only the test site remains.
- Note that where fixes or small enhancements are made to a previously “completed” development, I don’t announce it again against the list of “completed” items above, though the work appears in the full list for the quarter.
- Note that Backup_Prune_Ctrl deletes (relevant) pages that weren't regenerated in the last full site-regen, but this isn't the same thing.
- See Sistrix
- This used to be called Optimizr, see Optimizr (Defunct) (which now auto-forwards to Sistrix).
- A quick look doesn’t show it to be an obvious scam, but I need to double-check.
- An unsolicited analysis of my site turned up monthly from Optimizr from January 2015 to October 2017, listing a large number of “problems” that I think I know about, but which are in the queue to address.
- It restarted in February 2018, under the Sistrix name (this seems to have been associated with Optimizr since November 2015).
- The free version of this software is restricted to 1,000 pages, which is a very small proportion of my Site, though I may be able to point it to difference base-URLs.
- But I do need to address the problems validly itemised, and a sub-set is still useful.
- As distinct from developing other peoples’ websites – time which is also recorded against this project, but not against this task.
Table of the Previous 12 Versions of this Note: (of 79)
Summary of Note Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Summary of Note Links to this Page
|Internet Technology and Philosophy
||King's Maths Questions
||Simon - T1S1T1
||Status: Consciousness Studies (2020 - December)
||Status: Priority Task List (2021 - January)
|Status: Summary (2020 - December), 2
||Status: Summary Task List (2021: January)
||Status: Summary Task List (YTD: 20Q4 - 21Q1)
||Theo Todman's Philosophy Page
||Theo Todman's Website Maintainance History
|Website - Progress to Date (2020 - December), 2, 3, 4, 5
||Website Generator Documentation - Control Page
||Website Generator Documentation - Functors, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note
||Website - Development
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2021
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2021