Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Web-Tools (2014 - June)
(Text as at 04/07/2014 22:46:34)
(For other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
Rationale for this Project
- This Project was alluded to briefly in a footnote on research methodology in my original Research Proposal1 under the head Research - Internet Technology2. When last at Birkbeck, I wrote a more extensive paper3 defending the Project and describing its rationale. Now that my PhD is in suspense, I have decided to take this Project further. There’s a lot to do: still quite a few items on the “wish list”. It is fairly critical as an enabler for my research, so I need to get a move on as I want it all out of the way before I re-start formal research.
- For documentation on my website (currently password protected) follow the links below:-
… Technical Documentation
- I established the Hutton Bridge Club Website (Web Link) in 4Q11 using the standard Bridgewebs service, but with a couple of competitions using my own routines. Recently, I’ve been collecting data on bridge activity in the area (needed for a project to set up a new consolidated club) – by “scraping” data off web pages, consolidating it into a database and modelling it in various ways – and have booked this time to this project as it enhances (or at least maintains) my IT skills in this area.
- I did consider returning to work part-time as an MS Access/Excel developer, with a spin-off into website generation, but have done nothing about it so far.
Summary of Progress during April - June 2014
Further details are given below:-
- This project received a of of attention – and quite a lot was achieved – over the last quarter.
- However, a couple of disappointing aspects were that I didn’t pursue my web-training with Sitepoint, and quite a bit of effort was spent – and some of it wasted – with “infrastructural” issues to do with PC hardware, software and connectivity.
- During 2Q14 I expended 190 hours on this project (375 hours YTD , where for “YTD” – Year to Date – I mean the (academic) year that commenced in October 2013). That’s 183% of planned effort, 131% YTD. Overall, 31% of my project effort in the Quarter was directed towards this Project (making 20% YTD) – as against 15% planned (14% YTD).
- Major developments included:-
- Created multiple secure areas on my website, so that Documentation is no longer hiding under my Supervision Notes.
- Created the facility for Author Narratives.
- Added extra linkages between pages (eg. on Author).
- Wrote routines to import old (but missing) archived Notes into the database so they can be (and have been) re-exported in the current format. A difficult task that worked completely, in the end.
- Got my Spider working again.
- Used a clone of my Spider routines to create a backup and restore system.
- Improved my Dashboard, and the page-regeneration routines.
- Made a lot of other improvements to my Site generators, as in the list below.
Website (Total Hours = 190.5)
- Website - Development (Total Hours = 146)
- Bridge - Joint Project - Data Modelling - Mountnessing "Jeff Smith" Scoring (0.5 hours)
... See "Admin - Bridge - Joint Project"
- "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World" (2.75 hours)
- Software Development - Hutton Website - Competition Refinement (1.25 hours)
... See "Software Development - Hutton Website - Development"
- Website - Generator - Add %age-read to Author's Lists (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add Author-Narrative to Author's Lists (3 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add links from Notes to Tables and Queries (as well as Code) (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - Add links to Book and Author in BookCitings Link pages (1.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add links to Book and Author in BooksToNotes Link pages (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add links to Paper and Author in PaperCitings Link pages (1.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add links to Paper and Author in PapersToNotes Link pages (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add Reference to current Note from Archived Notes (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add top-of-page link to text colour conventions for Notes & Abstracts (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Archived-Notes Audit Routines (5.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Archived-Notes Re-import Routines (20.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Convert "Consolidated Bridge Results" to webpage - Enhancements (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Create "Regeneration Dashboard" (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Develop Backup/Restore via Spider (44 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve "Authors List" Regeneration Routines (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve "Philosophy Papers Full Database (Categorised by Topic)" Regeneration Routines (4.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve "Regeneration Dashboard" (9.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve bulk Note and Archived-Note Regeneration Routines (3.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Improve formatting of string of superscript Note reference from Abstracts (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Investigate anomalies in Book_Abstracts_Recent query (1.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Link MS Word to MS Access for pick-lists? (1 hour)
- Website - Generator - MsgBox default button focus (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Multi-author link function (2 hours)
- Website - Generator - Notes vs Abstracts (0.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Precis by Subtopic Revamp (3.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Remove old performance logging code (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Review & Document Spider (9.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Strategy for Write-ups (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Use Spider for Data Clean-up (2.5 hours)
- Website - Investigating JSpider (0.75 hours)
- Website - Multiple Secure Areas (4.75 hours)
- Website - PCs - Investigating Tablets (0.75 hours)
- Website - PCs - Set up Blackberry Playbook (3.5 hours)
- Website - PCs - Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 (6.75 hours)
- Website - Static pages - fix some broken hyperlinks (1.25 hours)
... See "Software Development - Website - Development"
- Website - Maintenance (Total Hours = 44.5)
Plans for the Near Future
Given that activity on this project is high at the moment, and to avoid a long straggle of items on this report, I’ve created a document5 listing outstanding items, together with those completed since the document was created. As a result, only the more important items likely to be addressed shortly appear here.
- General Developments:
- Undertake a trawl through the code for all functions within the generator – making improvements for efficiency and function.
- Supply rudimentary functional documentation as a spin-off from the above.
- Undertake a trawl through all (categories of) web-page, making aesthetic improvements, and correcting content.
- Specific Developments:
- Enable reproduction of archived “Printed Notes”.
- Standardise on “Write-ups” for Paper Abstracts – so, change the routines and database elements that enable the display of Paper Abstracts and Book-Paper Abstracts to accommodate this.
- Solve the problem of the size limitation for Notes by allowing their concatenation.
- Consequently, remove all large “Comments” that have been utilised to expand Paper (and Book?) abstracts.
- Utilise my Web Spider – in particular, regenerate and enhance the external links page, and see if I can get JSpider to work (or utilise some of its code) to check the links.
- Enhance my backup routines to allow pruning of the backup disk itself, and easier location of items to restore.
- Ensure FN referencing within Notes and referencing between Abstracts and Notes works for archived Notes.
- Expand the link to Notes from Papers and Books to be two-way, so that it’s clear that a Note is referenced by my comments on Books and Papers.
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- Education & Infrastructure:
- Hutton Bridge Club Website: Weekly maintenance
- "Admin - Bridge - Joint Project": Continue data collection & modelling
- Continue with "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses":-
… Complete, "Allsopp (John) - Learn HTML5", and
… Restart, and complete, "Weakley (Russ) - Getting Started with CSS".
- General PC Education: Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World"
- Read books on MS Access and MS Excel, namely:-
… "Couch (Andrew) - Microsoft Access 2010 VBA Programming Inside Out",
… "MacDonald (Matthew) - Access 2010: The Missing Manual",
… "Bovey (Rob), Wallentin (Dennis), Bullen (Stephen) & Green (John) - Professional Excel Development: The Definitive Guide to Developing Applications",
… "Jelen (Bill) & Syrstad (Tracy) - VBA and Macros: Microsoft Excel 2010".
- Use the above books to remind myself of how to get MS Access and MS Excel to “tango” – by both writing out to spread-sheets, and using automacro facilities within Excel to allow Access to control Excel.
Summary of Progress to Date
This is hived off to a separate document6 (which requires updating). A summary of time expended across the years developing my website7 is at "Software Development - Website - Development".
In-Page FootnotesFootnote 7: As distinct from developing other peoples’ websites – time which is also recorded against this project, but not against this task.
Live Version of this Archived Note
Table of 12 Earlier Versions of this Note (of 53)
Table of 12 Later Versions of this Note (of 13)
Summary of Notes Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017