Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Web-Tools (2018 - June)
(Text as at 06/07/2018 18:56:10)
(For other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
Rationale for this Project
- This Project was alluded to briefly in a footnote on research methodology in my original Research Proposal1 under the head Research - Internet Technology2. When last at Birkbeck, I wrote a more extensive paper3 defending the Project and describing its rationale. Now that my PhD is in suspense, I have decided to take this Project further. There’s a lot to do: still quite a few items on the “wish list”. It is fairly critical as an enabler for my research, so I need to get a move on as I want it all out of the way before I re-start4 formal research.
- For documentation on my website (currently password protected) follow the links below:-
- Functional5 Documentation6.
- Technical7 Documentation.
- Other Websites8
- Sometime around 2005, I created a website for Dr. Sophie Botros (Sophie Botros: Live Site), one of my supervisors at Birkbeck, but we then lost touch and it got maintained (very badly) by some desktop support outfit. In 2Q15 I took it back on again and spruced it up a bit, and maintain it periodically, though it still requires more work.
- I created and / or ran a multitude of bridge websites, but as of January 2018 I have either handed them over or mothballed them9:-
- I established the Hutton Bridge Club Website in 4Q11 using the standard Bridgewebs service, but with a couple of competitions using my own routines. This was handed over in 3Q15.
- In 1Q15, I took over the support and development of the Essex Contract Bridge Association (ECBA) website, which also uses Bridgewebs, but is very much larger. I wrote a lot of code10 to make this job less tedious. The site was handed over in 4Q17.
- For several years, I collected data11 on bridge activity in the Billericay / Brentwood area (initially needed for a project to set up a new consolidated club) – by “scraping” data off web pages, consolidating it into a database and modelling it in various ways.
- I used this data to generate websites with a multitude of ladders for small clubs (Essex Bridge Results). These are now mothballed.
- I created and maintained a new website for the First Class Bridge Academy, giving it “small clubs” ladders as these were easy to maintain with little intervention.
- In 3Q16 I revived the Mountnessing Bridge Club Archive website.
- I’ve created and continue to maintain a small website for a music group Julie and I attend – the Enigma Ensemble.
- I created a website for displaying the textual and grammatical analyses and appendices of Pete’s PhD on the Acts of the Apostles. It exists in two versions: Acts: Live Site and Acts: Test Site.
- I did consider returning to work part-time as an MS Access/Excel developer, with a spin-off into website generation, but have done nothing about it so far.
Summary of Progress during April - June 2018
Website (Total Hours = 139)
- I spent 142 hours in 2Q18 on this Project, or related work (502 hours YTD, where for "YTD" - Year to Date - I mean the (academic) year that commenced in October 2017). That's 91% of the planned effort (94% YTD). Overall, 28% of my Project effort in the Quarter was directed towards this project (making 27% YTD) - as against 26% planned (26% YTD).
- However, I did manage to spend almost 110 hours developing my own site and did a lot of useful work.
- Completed items included:-
- Adjusted MS Access Control Page12 to feature new functions (Development Log & Automatic XRef) and consolidated the categorised Notes Lists into one button.
- Investigated the error reports from the Documenter:
- Improved the diagostics
- Removed unused variables from the Generator code.
- Website Tidy-up:-
- Wrote a function to delete - with specified exceptions - items not regenerated in the last full website regeneration.
- Tidied up Site - deleted non-updated pages (especially old Printed Notes). Automatically on the local site, manually - using the audit log - on the live site.
- Investigated setting up an FTP link as a drive so I could automatically delete from the live site, but couldn't get it to work. Easy to set up as a drive, but not to assign a drive-letter so the drive can be used by VBA.
- Created automatic key-word referencing (ie. to Notes in the Notes-Group "Personal Identity"). This was complicated for a number of reasons:-
- There are always false positives, so there needed to be a way of "proofing" what's to be done before doing anything.
- There will be times where it is inappropriate (eg. in quoted work by other authors). So, there had to be a way of permanently suppressing such links.
- The referencing differs depending on whether the term is in a Footnote or not.
- I needed to check for already-existing links, variant grammatical forms, etc.
- I created a MsgBox routine - providing context - so that what needed to be done with potential links could easily be decided when the linking process was (re-)run.
- Links are always to Notes, but are from Notes, Archived Notes, Authors and Book & Paper Abstracts & Comments.
- Added a process to 'fix' - by adding the Note-ID - those note-links added without stating the ID. This will save processing time.
- Papers associated with broken links:-
- Created an area to hold pdfs, and automated links thereto.
- Created a pop-up to say I'd remove such pdfs if requested by their authors.
- Consequently, haven't password protected the area yet.
- Re-engineered Website Maintenance Dashboard13 to show extra topical links (and show them at the top of the page).
- The Spider was generating WebRefs. Procedurally, this ought not to have been possible. It turned out to be because unprocessed14 references got added to the end of the last WebLinks_Tester_Brief page, which then got Spidered. I've stopped this happening, so hopefully the problem will not recur.
- Added extra items to Functors to facilitate Quarterly Reporting:-
- Automatically calculated QTD & YTD time statistics in the quarterly reports.
- Provided a YTD task list for Status Reports for projects "in abeyance" to make reporting easier.
- Modified the statistics - to be just YTD - for YTD Status reports.
- Created table for - by Project - "Plans for the near future" tasks, and a functor to add them to the status report.
- Took "items competed" and "plans for the near future from the development log for the Web-tools status report.
- Created another functor to add these lists to the Summary report.
- Created Functor to add stats to Website Generator Documentation - Web Links15 page.
- The following items were initiated or progressed:-
- Various “infrastructural issue”, including the migration of my website from UKServers to Namesco.
- I made the termly update to the Enigma Ensemble Website.
- I was asked to roll forward the ECBA “Competitions” spreadsheet to the next financial year, but managed to persuade them they could do it themselves!
- Full details for 2Q18 are given below:-
- Website - Development (Total Hours = 107.25)
- Create password-protected area to hold pdfs, and links thereto (1.75 hours)
- WebRefs - Create Functor to add stats to "Website Generator Documentation - Web Links" page (2 hours)
- WebRefs - Create Functor(s) to add stats to "Website Generator Documentation - Web Links" page (0.25 hours)
- Website - Correction of narratives on Note time-recording pseudo-papers (1.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Add extra items to Functors to facilitate Quarterly Reporting (21 hours)
- Website - Generator - Architecture - Adjust MS Access Control Page (3.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Create automatic key-word referencing to Notes (25.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Documenter - Review errors / warnings & tidy up (5.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Enhancements & Residual problems with Automatic Note Referencing (8 hours)
- Website - Generator - 'Fix' auto-referenced Note - add Note IDs (6.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - General: Set up FTP drive as Z: (3 hours)
- Website - Generator - General: Tidy up Site - delete un-updated pages (especially old Printed Notes) (13.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Investigate Backup Run-time (1.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - Investigate Spider Run-time (7.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Maintain consolidated Development Log (2.25 hours)
- Website - Generator - Problems with Regen_Note_Links(_Archived) (0.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - Re-engineer Website Maintenance Dashboard (extra topical links) (1.5 hours)
- Website - Generator - WebRefs - Correction of errored URLs (0.75 hours)
- Website - Generator - WebRefs - Spurious entries generated by Spider (2 hours)
- Website - Updated "Websites-maintained" page (0.25 hours)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development"
- Website - Education (Total Hours = 2)
- Website - Infrastructure (Total Hours = 21)
- Internet Connection via iPhone (0.5 hours)
- Julie's Laptop Support - Including Windows 10 Bugs & Upgrades (0.5 hours)
- Julie's Laptop Support - Including Windows 7 Bugs & Upgrades (2.5 hours)
- Julie's New Laptop - Plan + Commisssioning (2.75 hours)
- Mediaplayer 10 Installation (0.25 hours)
- Microsoft Windows 10 / MS Office - Releases & Bugs (3 hours)
- Move Windows Live Mail Files (0.25 hours)
- PC Backups / OneDrive (2.75 hours)
- Printer Toner + Paper (0.5 hours)
- Website - Transfer from UKServers to Namesco (7 hours)
- Website - Transfer from UKServers to Namesco - ZoomSearch problems (1 hour)
→ See "Software Development - Website - Development"
- Website - Maintenance (Total Hours = 8.75)
Website Others (Total Hours = 3.25)
- Website Others - ECBA Maintenance (Total Hours = 1.75)
- Bridge - ECBA Website - Webmaster Handover & Support (0.25 hours)
- ECBA Website - OneDrive - Tournament Entry Spreadsheet - New Sheet for 2018/9 - Discussions (1.5 hours)
→ See "Admin - ECBA Website - Admin & Maintenance"
- Website Others - Enigma Ensemble
- Website Others - Joint Project Data Collection
Plans for the Near Future
I’ve retained the planned weekly effort on this project at 12 hours. While there’s still a lot on the “priority list”, my intention for the rest of this academic year and the coming one is to focus on updating my technical competence. The Plan below is taken automatically from the Priority 1 items on my Development Log, as published in my Outstanding Developments16 Report.
- Own Website: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Fix Bug whereby PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-” Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Authors Narrative: enable footnotes.
- Review architecture to improve performance; Need to document first
- Investigate whether multiple Subject/Topic/Subtopic usage leads anywhere (ie. are just the first (of 3) actually used). Fix anything amiss.
- Create Functor using Form_Documentation_Links to automatically add control-links to documentation Notes.
- Provide Functional Documentation for Website Generator (using Notes)
- Investigate Bootstrap.
- Plan what to do with "Sitepoint (Learnable) - Sitepoint Learnable Web Development Courses" and the eBooks in my possession.
- Read "PC Pro - Computing in the Real World".
- Read "Barnes (Russell), Ed. - Web Designer".
- Re-start "Harvard University - CS50 Introduction to Computer Science" (consider accreditation).
- Understand Bitcoin & Blockchain better
- Enable the re-use of Footnotes in the same Note17. Currently, they appear twice.
- Add "Note Alternates" to Note pages.
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place.
- For use as "disclaimers" - eg. for "Plug Notes".
- For Thesis / essays: the difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- Create auto-regen of all Note Link (Note_nnn_Link) Pages
- Ensure FN referencing within Notes and referencing between Abstracts and Notes works for archived Notes.
- Investigate Note_Links: Section references seem to be incorrect
- Printable Notes: fix the bug whereby the “private” flag is round the wrong way.
- Suppress the publication of the Printable versions of Temp Notes
- Add photos of Tom - Create Timeline software
- Develop software & procedure to make adding more content to the photos pages easier to undertake.
- Determine why Recalculation & Changed Book/Papers produce unneeded regeneration.
- Determine why copying of data back to the slave database takes so long - approx. 3.5 hours. May need to re-architect.
- Documentation & Bug-fixes: Phase 2
- Re-document the procedures in the light of recent changes.
- Resolve issues generated / revealed by the spider.
- Investigate - and fix where possible - broken links.
- Other Websites: Priority 1 Items By Category:-
Summary of Progress to Date
This is hived off to various separate documents, which have now been harmonising and / or consolidated:-
- Summary of Progress to Date18.
- Outstanding Developments19,
- Functional Documentation20,
- A summary of time expended across the years developing my website21 is at "Software Development - Website - Development".
In-Page FootnotesFootnote 4:
- Well, I’ve missed the boat, so will need to continue with both projects in parallel.
- This was always likely to be necessary, as new features will always arise in use. It’s a prototype methodology, after all.
- This is very tedious to produce and consequently is both incomplete and out of date.
- This is much more fun, as it’s a purely technical task.
- I’ve written a vastly-improved general-purpose technical documenter for MS Access.
- It’s a shame to abandon the “mini websites” with all their ladders, as it’s rather well done.
- However, I can’t waste time on these after I’ve abandoned bridge.
- In particular, for the ECBA “Victor Ludorum” competition.
- I cannot hand any of this code over, so the tedium will return, though not to me!
- I had agreed to share this data sometime early in 2018
- But will wait until asked again, as I doubt it’ll be of any real use to anyone.
- Unprocessed by what? I've forgotten!
- This occurs in these reports, but possibly elsewhere.
- As distinct from developing other peoples’ websites – time which is also recorded against this project, but not against this task.
Live Version of this Archived Note
Table of 12 Earlier Versions of this Note (of 69)
Table of the 3 Later Versions of this Note
|This version updated
||Reference for this Topic
||520 (Status: Web-Tools (2018 - June))
||Status: Summary (2019 - June)|
Summary of Notes Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019