Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Consciousness Studies (2020 - September)
(Text as at 04/10/2020 00:27:22)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
As this project is substantially in abeyance, this report is mostly generated automatically, with minor textual additions at the end of each academic year.
Rationale for this Project
- This is a philosophical topic that has interested me for many years. It would have been my primary area of research, had it not been so difficult and so heavily populated with philosophers.
- It can be considered as a supporting project for two of my other projects.
- Personal Identity1 (because of consciousness of self) and
- Philosophy of Religion2 (as phenomenal consciousness gives prima facie difficulties for materialism).
- This project remains in mothballs, except insofar as topics are required explicitly to support my other projects.
Summary of Progress during July - September 2020
- I spent 6.25 hours in 20Q3 on this Project, or related work (31.25 hours YTD, where for "YTD" - Year to Date - I mean the (academic) year that commenced in October 2019). That's 47.9% of the planned effort (59.9% YTD). Overall, 0.9% of my Project effort in the Quarter was directed towards this project (making 1.1% YTD) - as against 1.9% planned (1.8% YTD).
Consciousness (Total Hours = 6.25)
Summary of Progress during October 2019 – September 2020 (YTD Activity3)
- Consciousness (Total Hours = 31.25)
- 19Q3 Status Reports (Write, 0.5 hours)
- 19Q4 Status Reports (Write, 0.75 hours)
- 20Q1 Status Reports (Write, 0.25 hours)
- 20Q2 Status Reports (Write, 0.5 hours)
→ See "Admin - Consciousness Project: General Study & Status Reporting" (2 hours)
- Aeon: Video - Mary's Room (Comments; Read / Write, 1.75 hours)
- Aeon: Video - Raymond Tallis - What is Extended Mind (Comments; Read, 0.75 hours)
- Aeon: Video - Susan Greenfield on neuronal assemblies (Comments; Read / Write, 0.5 hours)
→ See "Hains (Brigid) & Hains (Paul) - Aeon: 2019+" (3 hours)
- "Bonhomme (Vincent), Etc. - General Anesthesia: A Probe to Explore Consciousness" (Read / Write, 1.75 hours)
- "Chittka (Lars) & Wilson (Catherine) - Bee-brained" (Read / Write, 1.5 hours)
- "Dennett (Daniel) - Illusionism as the Obvious Default Theory of Consciousness" (Read / Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Donald (Merlin) - A Mind So Rare: Prologue" (Read / Write, 2.5 hours)
- "Eliot (Lise) - What's Going On in There?: How the Brain And Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life" (Read, 1.75 hours)
- "Frankish (Keith) - Illusionism as a Theory of Consciousness" (Read / Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Frankish (Keith) - The Consciousness Illusion" (Read / Write, 1.75 hours)
- "Frohlich (Joel) - Frames of consciousness" (Read, 1.25 hours)
- "Gefter (Amanda) & Hoffman (Donald D.) - The Evolutionary Argument Against Reality" (Read / Write, 0.75 hours)
- "Hoffman (Donald D.) - The Case Against Reality (Aeon Video)" (Read, 2 hours)
- "Hoffman (Donald D.) - The Case Against Reality: How Evolution Hid the Truth from Our Eyes" (Read / Write, 0.75 hours)
- "Kammerer (Francois) - The Hardest Aspect of the Illusion Problem - and How to Solve it" (Read / Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Manzotti (Riccardo) - Mind-Object Identity: A Solution to the Hard Problem" (Write, 0.25 hours)
- "O'Grady (Jane) - Donald Hoffman’s 'The Case Against Reality' is hard to get your head around" (Read / Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Papineau (David) - Introducing Consciousness" (Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Parks (Tim) & Manzotti (Riccardo) - You are the world" (Read / Write, 1.75 hours)
- "Pigliucci (Massimo) - Consciousness is real" (Read / Write, 1.5 hours)
- "Prakash (Chetan) - Structure Invention by Conscious Agents" (Write, 1 hour)
- "Seth (Anil Kumar) - How we build perception from the inside out" (Read / Write, 3.25 hours)
- "Seth (Anil Kumar) - The real problem" (Write, 0.25 hours)
- "Strawson (Galen) - The Consciousness Deniers" (Write, 0.5 hours)
- "Various - Models of Consciousness" (Write, 1.25 hours)
- About half the minimal effort planned was expended. I read a fair scatter of interesting stuff, but without much focus.
- Progress (if any) in the current quarter can be obtained from the relevant section of my Summary Task List4, and YTD in the current & future “automatic” editions of this report.
Plans for the Near Future:
Priority Reading Material
The priority books are given below.
- "Baars (Bernard), Banks (William) & Newman (James) - Essential Sources in the Scientific Study of Consciousness"
- "Block (Ned), Flanagan (Owen) & Guzeldere (Guven) - The Nature of Consciousness"
- "Carruthers (Peter) - Phenomenal Consciousness"
- "Chalmers (David) - The Conscious Mind: In Search of a Fundamental Theory"
- "Churchland (Paul) - The Engine of Reason, the Seat of the Soul: Philosophical Journey into the Brain"
- "Crick (Francis) - The Astonishing Hypothesis - The Scientific Search for the Soul"
- "Dehaene (Stanislas) - Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts"
- "Dennett (Daniel) - Consciousness Explained"
- "Gray (Jeffrey) - Consciousness: Creeping up on the Hard Problem"
- "Hodgson (David) - The Mind Matters - Consciousness and Choice in a Quantum World"
- "Levine (Joseph) - Purple Haze: The Puzzle of Consciousness"
- "Marcel (Anthony J.) & Bisiach (Edoardo) - Consciousness in Contemporary Science"
- "McGinn (Colin) - The Problem of Consciousness: Essays Towards a Resolution"
- "Noe (Alva) - Out of Our Heads: Why You Are Not Your Brain, and Other Lessons from the Biology of Consciousness"
- "Papineau (David) - Introducing Consciousness"
- "Papineau (David) - Thinking About Consciousness"
- "Penrose (Roger) - The Emperor's New Mind"
- "Penrose (Roger) - Shadows of the Mind"
- "Searle (John) - The Rediscovery of the Mind"
- "Smith (Quentin) & Jokic (Aleksandar) - Consciousness: New Philosophical Essays"
Additionally, I’ve started to catalogue my back-issues of Journal of Consciousness Studies, for which the link below is the jumping-off point:-
→ "JCS - Journal of Consciousness Studies (Consolidated List)"
In-Page Footnotes:Footnote 3:
- As this project is substantially inactive, I don’t update the text quarterly as for the active projects, but only at the end of the academic year.
- If there are hours in the Plan, the Quarterly and YTD figures appear against that plan and are “as at” the end of the last Quarter.
- The YTD Activity-list is to make the end-year task easier, and to give a clearer idea of what – if anything – has been going on in the interim.
- There are other items addressed over the last year that need writing up and aren’t in the list below.
- So, maybe, my first task is to review them and integrate them with the list below, but also to undertake some pruning, as the list is already far too long to be addressed within my miniscule time-budget.
Table of the Previous 12 Versions of this Note: (of 42)
Summary of Note Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Authors, Books & Papers Citing this Note
||Thesis - Consciousness
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2020