Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Status: Music (Summary of Progress to Date)
(Text as at 18/12/2010 19:58:05)
(For other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
Sheet Music and Books on Music are summarised in the following lists:- A useful site for listening to practice pieces is Spotify (Spotify).
Time spent since I (re-)started playing these instruments is recorded in my database (as pseudo-Papers) at the following links:- Note that (here, and in the table below):-
- “Administration” includes ordering and cataloguing new music, oboe reed, etc.
- The “music theory” includes reading the following:-
- My oboe expertise has improved somewhat with practice, though I still have trouble with breath-control, and with playing for longer than 30 minutes at a stretch. It seems that the tone of the G, and especially the C, above middle C, has never been very good, though this now seems to be improving. Strangely, I’d never thought the oboe needed to be tuned against the piano, nor was I quite as clear how to vary the pitch so much by controlling the reed. So, I guess that’s progress. My focus continues to be on the mechanics of breathing, reed-control and tone, but is now moving on into other areas of musicality.
- Lessons: 30 to date, starting from April 2008.
- Practice pieces for the oboe:
- "Langey (Otto) - The Oboe: Practical Tutor for the Oboe and Cor Anglais":-
… #52 – Andantino in E-flat Major
- "Craxton (Janet) & Richardson (Alan) - Second Book of Oboe Solos":-
… Telemann: Affettuoso from Sonata in C minor,
… Mozart: Theme from La Ci Darem La Mano (Arr. Beethoven); in C major,
… Mozart: Theme and Two Variations from Divertimento #13; in F major,
- Morgan Nichola: Melody in a minor,
- Loeillet: Sonata in C major,
- "Arnold (Jay) - Oboe Solos":-
… Caesar Cui: Orientale (The Kaleidoscope), Op. 50, in g minor,
… Grieg: Solvejg’s Song,
… Dvorak: Indian Canzonetta (Op. 100, No. 2),
… Dvorak: Slavonic Dance (Op. 72, No. 2),
… Handel: Sonata #1 in g minor,
- "Bononcini (Giovanni Maria) - 15 Dances for Two Treble Recorders and Basso Continuo"
- Michael Head: Gavotte.
- John Barbirolli: Concerto for Oboe and Piano, on Themes of Pergolesi.
- "Bach (J.S.) - 105 Difficult Passages from the Works of J. S. Bach. For oboe":-
… Cantatas #1 & 121.
- "Joppig (Gunther) & McColl (Anthony) - 100 Easy Classical Studies for Oboe":-
… Items 35 - 37
- "Albinoni (Tomaso) - Oboe Concerto Op.7 No.3 (Oboe/Piano)".
- "Hinke (Gustav Adolf) - Elementary Method For Oboe": Scale studies in …
… C major and a minor, p. 25
… G major and e minor, p. 26.
- Giovanni Maria Bononcini – 15 Dances for Two Treble Recorders.
- Also some elementary scales (C major; D major and minor; F major; and G major and minor; E-flat major).
- Finally, some re-engineering of the fingering for top C# and D – and now D# and E – I’m beginning to get used to these, which is an advance over my school days.
- I’ve been studying Piano since July 2008.
- Lessons: 22 to date.
- I reached the end of Book 1 of "Barratt (Carol) - The Classic Piano Course (Omnibus Edition: Books 1, 2 & 3)" in December 2008. Final piece: Fur Elise.
- From January – August 2009 I was assigned a Grade 2/3 book – "Agay (Denes) - Classics to Moderns (Volume 2)" – items as below.
- Minuet from the Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach,
- Corelli – Gavotte,
- Burgmuller – Arabesque,
- Beethoven – Sonatina in G,
- Tchaikovsky – Italian Song,
- Beethoven – Ecossaise,
- Couperin – Carnival,
- Schumann – Melody,
- Schumann – The Wild Horseman,
- Kabalevsky - Waltz.
- Since September 2009 I have been assigned a Grade 3/4 book – "Agay (Denes) - Classics to Moderns (Volume 3)" – items as below.
- Mozart – Rondo,
- Schumann – First Loss,
- Bach – Little Prelude In C, and
- Schubert – Waltz.
Live Version of this Archived Note
Earlier Version of this Note
Table of the 7 Later Versions of this Note
|This version updated
||Reference for this Topic
||879 (Status: Music (Summary of Progress to Date))
||Status: Music (2019 - June)|
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019