Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Website - Outstanding Developments (2017 - March)
(Text as at 10/04/2017 23:38:24)
(For earlier versions of this Note, see the table at the end)
Rationale for this Document
- My website has evolved over time, and some parts are more active than others. Some haven’t been looked at (by me) for years.
- I have known of various problems for some time, and they have been queuing for development awaiting my time / enthusiasm.
- My focus has always been content before form. However, it’s form that catches the eye. So, the site needs a makeover.
- I’ve also used rather primitive HTML techniques – whatever’s simplest.
- I have started to document my website and the site-generator. The results are currently in a password-protected area. The functional documentation is very rudimentary, but the technical documentation – in the form of the actual code with hyperlinks between routines, and links to the tables and queries used – is wonderful (even if I say so myself) – something Microsoft should have supplied.
- Functional_Documentation1, and
- Technical Documentation.
- Specific Developments:
- Ensure FN referencing within Notes and referencing between Abstracts and Notes works for archived Notes.
- Read the Google documentation (Web Link) to investigate where I’m going wrong in the (failure to) use META tags to ensure my stuff sorts correctly in the search engines.
- Technical Documenter:-
- Separate from the main database & code, then add a parameter so it doesn’t necessarily document itself.
- Investigate & fix “Query Fragments” issue.
- Enhance to document Macros.
- Look at ways of documenting other (MS Access) databases & trial on Northwind.
- Investigate possibilities of retailing the documenter.
- Investigate the error reports from the Documenter, especially unused variables & queries.
- Complete XRef-re-engineering project:-
- Ensure all links and link-pages use the new XRef table, and pension off the old tables.
- Check all link-types still work and fix any errors.
- Complete the auto-triggering of regeneration of “associated” link pages.
- Fix update bug in Convert_Webrefs.
- Bug: PaperSummary pages seem to have “Works-” and “Books/Papers-“ Citings that refer to the same link-pages.
- Add more content to the photos pages.
- Enable reproduction of archived “Printed Notes”.
- Fix problem with broken bespoke links to Printed Notes from Archived Notes.
- Solve the problem of the size limitation for Notes (eg. by allowing their concatenation, but check in Access 2013 first).
- Subsequently, remove all large “Comments” that have been utilised to expand Paper abstracts (by moving them to Notes).
- Allow direct Note-links in Footnotes (as well as the “Click here for note” style).
- Web Spider:-
- Add “.shtml” and “.shtm” to the list of web-suffices.
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken “Internal” links and prevent recurrence,
- Complete investigation into broken “External” Links.
- Correct the code so the discovered problems don’t recur, and
- Fix the historical data (no simple task to automate).
- Delete “orphan pages” that are never linked to, ie.
- Use the Spider to “prune” redundant pages automatically where possible.
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- General Developments / Investigations:
- Undertake a trawl through the code for all functions within the generator – making improvements for efficiency and function.
- Supply rudimentary functional documentation as a spin-off from the above.
- Undertake a trawl through all (categories of) web-page, making aesthetic improvements, and correcting content.
- Standardise to HTML5.
- Look into Optimizr2.
- Review the effectiveness of the categorised reading lists for both Papers and Books.
- Investigate the use of RTF in memo fields, so that I can get round the 64k character limit.
Further Priority Items
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Add easily-visible "quality markers" to Notes.
- Add “Date Created” to Note-Links (for audit purposes; I’m still not convinced that links disappear when they should).
- Determine why very long printable notes (eg. Level 3+ for Note 1703) are being truncated.
- Very long pages (eg. Concatenated Notes and Book Paper Abstracts) fail to render correctly in Firefox (mostly OK in other browsers). Investigate whether it’s possible to subdivide them.
- Check (in use) that the optional "don't print" feature for specific footnotes doesn't print other footnotes further down the chain. Probably OK.
- Add "Specific", "Contextual" & "General" Notes as an optional footer to all Notes. I think this is important – part of the difficulty in understanding some philosophers is knowing what their background assumptions are, as this influences what they take to be “obvious” or “a given”.
- Create automatic key-word referencing (ie. to Notes in the Notes-Group "Personal Identity").
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place. The difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- Fix "American" date formats in Electronic Resources page + add scrolling titles.
- Improve flexibility of reading lists attached to printable version of Notes (different sort orders, priority items only, etc).
- Book Comments: if there are explicit internal links to files in Book Comments, they cannot work both in the BookSummary and BookPaperAbstracts, which are at different directory levels. So, don’t put them in the Comments – only in the Abstract.
- Books by Location: the jump table led to an invalid location. I bodged the data, by deleting an unused location, and didn’t properly investigate.
- Books to Notes: There’s an issue if a note changes from Secure to non-Secure, but I bodged the data and didn’t try to fix it.
Items Completed in 4Q16-1Q17
- Created Master Point Lists & Promotions for the ECBA website.
- Added new features (70s Club & Monthly Pairs Winners) to my Bridge mini-websites.
Items Completed in 2-3Q16
- Developed a website for displaying the textual and grammatical analyses and appendices of Pete’s PhD on the Acts of the Apostles. It exists in two versions: Live (Web Link) and Test (Web Link).
- Revived the archive website for Mountnessing Bridge Club (Web Link).
Items Completed in 1Q16
- Reconciled my X-IMP calculations with a new feature provided by Bridgewebs.
- Created Ladies’ and Gentlemen’s ladders for my mini-websites & accommodated Alaric’s new scoring system for St. Edith’s.
- Allowed Note- & Footnote-links from multiple words5. This is such a useful feature!
- Similarly, enabled direct links to Notes from within Footnotes.
- Created direct links from Subject, Topic & Sub-topic (in Book and Paper Summaries) to their link pages.
- Completed converting “static” pages to Notes.
- Created an automatic documenter – with links to the code – for Forms.
- Stopped (I hope!) “private” Notes showing in Paper Abstracts.
- Some tidying up of the 3,000-odd external links from my website.
Items Completed in 4Q15
- Enhanced my backup system to prune items backed up multiple times (eg. if they moved directory).
- Neatened up the linkage headers in Book & Paper Abstracts.
- Segregated the code-archive, which was bloating the generator database.
- Segregated the Bridge website generators from those for my own website. They now live in separate databases and have their own documenters.
- Created a consolidated processor to enable overnight regeneration of the whole website.
- Converted the “static” pages in my website to Note format (so they can change and retain history).
- Finally cracked the Spider for external links, and used it to check the 3,000-odd links from my website. Some tidying up outstanding.
Items Completed in 3Q15
- Completed the upgrade of Sophie Botros’s website (Sophie is an old friend and supervisor from Birkbeck); see Web Link.
- Created a small website for a music group Julie and I attend – the Enigma Ensemble (Web Link).
- Created a new website for the First Class Bridge Academy (Web Link).
- Made a lot of progress on improving the hyperlinking in my own website – I’ve broken the back of this project. The links now work accurately, but I need to ensure the efficient propagation of linkage changes across the site without requiring a complete regeneration.
- Tidied up the archived Notes.
- Ported my “handicap / improvers” routines from Hutton to “Mini Websites”.
Items Completed in 2Q15
- Development of the “Eve Goblets” (victor ludorum) software for the ECBA, and roll-over to the new season.
Items Completed in 1Q15
- Further improvements to my Butler-IMPs and Cross-IMPs calculation routines. This work has been taken up by the ECBA for county-team selection.
- Vastly improved the “bulleting” options in Notes, etc.
- Improved the format and content of “Authors” pages.
- Segregated time-recording so I can easily see how much time is spent developing and supporting my own website, and how much is spent on those of other organisations.
- Took on the ECBA Website, at the cost of considerable effort, and also started a project to provide small websites for bridge clubs without sites.
Items Completed in 4Q14
- Improvements to my Butler-IMPs and Cross-IMPs calculation routines – different formats, including the Jeff Smith format, and extension to Butler-scored Pairs events. This work has been taken up by the ECBA selectors for county-team selection.
- Made improvements to the regeneration and referencing of archived Notes.
- Fixed the bug wherein the Spider ran out of system resources on large runs: now compacts & repairs the slave database as it does along (every 200k links; parameterised).
Items Completed in 3Q14
- Created a suite of programs to extract data and calculate Butler-IMPs and Cross-IMPs from the travellers on Bridgewebs Teams events, and output ranking-lists to the Web.
- Created a progress-tracker6 for my Thesis.
- Improved error-recovery where encoding fails for Notes links.
- Started to split Paper Abstracts from Write-ups.
- Continued working on my Spider and started to use it to clean up my website by diagnosing broken links.
Items Completed in 2Q14
- Created multiple secure areas on my website, so that Documentation is no longer hiding under my Supervision Notes.
- Created the facility for Author Narratives.
- Added extra linkages between pages (eg. on Author).
- Wrote routines to import old (but missing) archived Notes into the database so they can be (and have been) re-exported in the current format.
- Used a clone of my Spider routines to create a backup and restore system.
Items Completed in 1Q14
- Created a “Website Regeneration Dashboard” to show when the various elements of my website have been refreshed, and how long the routines took to run. Links to this appear in the footer to each webpage.
- Improved the regeneration routines for the various classes of webpage, and got them to record statistics in support of the above.
- Repaired / updated my Website site-map.
- Made a lot of improvements to my Site generators, in particular the pesky bug that stopped the links to archived Notes working correctly.
Items Completed in 4Q13
Items Completed in 3Q13
- Enhancements to "Books & Papers Collection Categorised" Pages
- "Single Image" development for Notes
- Allowed "Authors Works Lists" to be linked-to from Notes
- Created Archived Notes Re-Export facility
- Converted Tables to CSS3 standard
- Re-engineering Monthly Reporting on Change of Year
- Re-engineered Time-Recording, so that actuals are held against Papers (and Books) in a separate table, rather than as columns by year in the Papers / Books tables themselves. Retained the grand totals only.
- Simplified / Re-engineered Notes processing
- Sorted conflicts between Subject, Topic & Sub-Topic IDs
- Used CSS in all manually-crafted and automatically-generated pages
- Improved linkages between Book/Paper Lists and Summaries or Abstracts
Items Completed in June 2013
- Some pages render oddly in Chrome (and maybe other browsers) – investigated7.
- Reduced the size of photos (to make the pages quicker to load).
- Improved the linkage between Papers and Books.
- Improved error-recovery where encoding fails for links to Books, Papers and Authors. That is, where one of my bespoke tags (eg. +B8) doesn’t match with its corresponding anti-tag (eg. B+).
- Wrote the Code Documenter.
- Created a code & query archive facility as part of the above.
- Created “Consolidated Bridge Results” webpages.
- Developed "Books by Location" Pages
- Improved "Concatenated Notes" production
- Improved "This Month's Summary" Reporting
- Improved Quarterly Reporting
- Merged Philosophy & Bridge Databases
- Replaced macros with code.
- De-bugged the Spider.
Items Completed prior to June 2013
See separate document9 (which requires updating).
In-Page Footnotes:Footnote 2:
Footnote 4: These items ought to be fixed, but it’s not currently worth the bother.
- For Optimizr, see Web Link. A quick look doesn’t show it to be an obvious scam, but I need to double-check.
- An unsolicited analysis of my site turned up, listing a large number of “problems” that I think I know about, but which are in the queue to address.
- I suspect that this software will try to get me to buy something – maybe to fix the problems – but because I use a generator it’ll be no use.
- But I do need to address the problems validly itemised.
Footnote 5: As demonstrated here!
Footnote 7: Fixed – it was very long blank-free URLs in the Source column. I now call my “WebRef” function to convert these to hyperlinks.
Footnote 8: Naturally, I can now say precisely what I mean, by using a plus-sign, as it no longer causes the process to fail!
Table of the Previous 8 Versions of this Note:
|Note last updated
||Reference for this Topic
||981 (Website - Outstanding Developments (2017 - March))
||Status: Web-Tools (2017 - June)|
Summary of Note Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above.
Text Colour Conventions
- Black: Printable Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017