Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Website - Outstanding Developments (2014 - March)
(Text as at 04/04/2014 19:03:22)
(For other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
Rationale for this Document
- My website has evolved over time, and some parts are more active than others. Some haven’t been looked at (by me) for years.
- I have known of various problems for some time, and they have been queuing for development awaiting my time / enthusiasm.
- My focus has always been content before form. However, it’s form that catches the eye. So, the site needs a makeover.
- I’ve also used rather primitive HTML techniques – whatever’s simplest. This won’t impress potential employers, nor stand me in good stead for employment1.
- I have started to document my website and the site-generator. The results are currently in a password-protected area. The functional documentation is very rudimentary, but the technical documentation – in the form of the actual code with hyperlinks between routines, and links to the tables and queries used – is wonderful (even if I say so myself) – something Microsoft should have supplied.
… Technical Documentation
- Undertake a trawl through the code for all functions within the generator – making improvements for efficiency and function.
- Supply rudimentary functional documentation as a spin-off from the above.
- Undertake a trawl through all (categories of) web-page, making aesthetic improvements, and correcting content.
- Fix historical data arising from a bug (now fixed) whereby archived Notes have a parameter, rather than the title, in their Titles (thereby displaying incorrectly, and messing up the Search).
- Standardise to HTML5 – determine what went wrong with the first attempt!3
- Ensure FN referencing within Notes and referencing between Abstracts and Notes works for archived Notes.
- Add more content to the photos pages.
- Improve error-recovery where encoding fails for Notes links. Mainly where one of my bespoke tags (ie. plusplus or plusN4) doesn’t match with its corresponding anti-tag (ie. plusplus or Nplus).
- Review the effectiveness of the categorised reading lists for both Papers and Books.
- Web Spider
- Use the Spider to “prune” redundant pages.
- Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken links and prevent recurrence,
- Complete investigation into broken “External Links”
- Correct the code so the discovered problems don’t recur, and
- Fix the historical data (no simple task to automate).
- Delete “orphan pages” that are never linked to.
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- Investigate the use of RTF in memo fields, so that I can get round the 64k character limit.
Further Priority Items
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Investigate Note_Links: needs versioning, and section of calling Note. Currently, the section called is often incorrect.
- Add easily-visible "quality markers" to Notes.
- Add “Date Created” to Note-Links (for audit purposes; I’m still not convinced that links disappear when they should).
- Determine why very long printable notes (eg. Level 3+ for Note 1705) are being truncated.
- Very long pages (eg. Concatenated Notes and Book Paper Abstracts) fail to render correctly in Firefox (mostly OK in other browsers). Investigate whether it’s possible to subdivide them.
- Check (in use) that the optional "don't print" feature for specific footnotes doesn't print other footnotes further down the chain. Probably OK.
- Add "Specific", "Contextual" & "General" Notes as an optional footer to all Notes. I think this is important – part of the difficulty in understanding some philosophers is knowing what their background assumptions are, as this influences what they take to be “obvious” or “a given”.
- Create automatic key-word referencing (ie. to Notes in the Notes-Group "Personal Identity").
- Improve flexibility of password-protected areas (ie. multiple areas, with different log-ons).
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place. The difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- Fix "American" date formats in Electronic Resources page + add scrolling titles.
- Improve flexibility of reading lists attached to printable version of Notes (different sort orders, priority items only, etc).
Items Completed in 1Q14
- Created a “Website Regeneration Dashboard” to show when the various elements of my website have been refreshed, and how long the routines took to run. Links to this appear in the footer to each webpage.
- Improved the regeneration routines for the various classes of webpage, and got them to record statistics in support of the above.
- Repaired / updated my Website site-map.
- Made a lot of improvements to my Site generators, in particular the pesky bug that stopped the links to archived Notes working correctly.
Items Completed in 3Q13
- Enhancements to "Books & Papers Collection Categorised" Pages
- "Single Image" development for Notes
- Allowed "Authors Works Lists" to be linked-to from Notes
- Created Archived Notes Re-Export facility
- Converted Tables to CSS3 standard
- Re-engineering Monthly Reporting on Change of Year
- Re-engineered Time-Recording, so that actuals are held against Papers (and Books) in a separate table, rather than as columns by year in the Papers / Books tables themselves. Retained the grand totals only.
- Simplified / Re-engineered Notes processing
- Sorted conflicts between Subject, Topic & Sub-Topic IDs
- Used CSS in all manually-crafted and automatically-generated pages
- Improved linkages between Book/Paper Lists and Summaries or Abstracts
Items Completed in June 2013
- Some pages render oddly in Chrome (and maybe other browsers) – investigated6.
- Reduced the size of photos (to make the pages quicker to load).
- Improved the linkage between Papers and Books.
- Improved error-recovery where encoding fails for links to Books, Papers and Authors. That is, where one of my bespoke tags (eg. +B7) doesn’t match with its corresponding anti-tag (eg. B+).
- Wrote the Code Documenter.
- Created a code & query archive facility as part of the above.
- Created “Consolidated Bridge Results” webpages.
- Developed "Books by Location" Pages
- Improved "Concatenated Notes" production
- Improved "This Month's Summary" Reporting
- Improved Quarterly Reporting
- Merged Philosophy & Bridge Databases
- Replaced macros with code.
- De-bugged the Spider.
Items Completed prior to June 2013
See separate document8 (which requires updating).
In-Page FootnotesFootnote 1: I’ve run out of cash, so will be looking for part-time contract work
Footnote 3: This was due to the choice of charset.
Footnote 4: Naturally, I can’t say precisely what I mean, by using a plus-sign, as it causes the process to fail!
Footnote 6: Fixed – it was very long blank-free URLs in the Source column. I now call my “WebRef” function to convert these to hyperlinks.
Footnote 7: Naturally, I can now say precisely what I mean, by using a plus-sign, as it no longer causes the process to fail!
Live Version of this Archived Note
Table of the 2 Earlier Versions of this Note
Table of the 5 Later Versions of this Note
|This version updated
||Reference for this Topic
||981 (Website - Outstanding Developments (2014 - March))
||Status: Web-Tools (2017 - June)|
Summary of Notes Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2017