Theo Todman's Web Page - Notes Pages
Website - Outstanding Developments (2014 - September)
(Text as at 07/10/2014 17:39:50)
(For other versions of this Note, see the tables at the end)
Rationale for this Document
- My website has evolved over time, and some parts are more active than others. Some haven’t been looked at (by me) for years.
- I have known of various problems for some time, and they have been queuing for development awaiting my time / enthusiasm.
- My focus has always been content before form. However, it’s form that catches the eye. So, the site needs a makeover.
- I’ve also used rather primitive HTML techniques – whatever’s simplest.
- I have started to document my website and the site-generator. The results are currently in a password-protected area. The functional documentation is very rudimentary, but the technical documentation – in the form of the actual code with hyperlinks between routines, and links to the tables and queries used – is wonderful (even if I say so myself) – something Microsoft should have supplied.
… Technical Documentation
- Specific Developments:
- Ensure FN referencing within Notes and referencing between Abstracts and Notes works for archived Notes.
- Add more content to the photos pages.
- Enable reproduction of archived “Printed Notes”.
- Fix problem with broken bespoke links to Printed Notes from Archived Notes.
- Standardise on “Write-ups” for Paper Abstracts – so, change the routines and database elements that enable the display of Paper Abstracts and Book-Paper Abstracts to accommodate this.
- Solve the problem of the size limitation for Notes by allowing their concatenation.
- Consequently, remove all large “Comments” that have been utilised to expand Paper (and Book?) abstracts.
- Enhance my backup routines to allow pruning of the backup disk itself, and easier location of items to restore.
- Web Spider
… Analyse the results of the data collection exercise and design a plan of campaign to fix broken “Internal” links and prevent recurrence,
… Complete investigation into broken “External” Links.
… See if I can get JSpider to work (or utilise some of its code) to check the links.
… Correct the code so the discovered problems don’t recur, and
… Fix the historical data (no simple task to automate).
… Delete “orphan pages” that are never linked to, ie.
… Use the Spider to “prune” redundant pages automatically where possible.
- Fix bugs in multi-level footnoting in Printable Notes – the referencing is going wrong.
- General Developments / Investigations:
- Undertake a trawl through the code for all functions within the generator – making improvements for efficiency and function.
- Supply rudimentary functional documentation as a spin-off from the above.
- Undertake a trawl through all (categories of) web-page, making aesthetic improvements, and correcting content.
- Standardise to HTML5.
- Review the effectiveness of the categorised reading lists for both Papers and Books.
- Investigate the use of RTF in memo fields, so that I can get round the 64k character limit.
Further Priority Items
- Review effectiveness of hyperlinking method in the light of PhD and Philosophy of Religion experience.
- Investigate Note_Links: needs versioning, and section of calling Note. Currently, the section called is often incorrect.
- Add easily-visible "quality markers" to Notes.
- Add “Date Created” to Note-Links (for audit purposes; I’m still not convinced that links disappear when they should).
- Determine why very long printable notes (eg. Level 3+ for Note 1702) are being truncated.
- Very long pages (eg. Concatenated Notes and Book Paper Abstracts) fail to render correctly in Firefox (mostly OK in other browsers). Investigate whether it’s possible to subdivide them.
- Check (in use) that the optional "don't print" feature for specific footnotes doesn't print other footnotes further down the chain. Probably OK.
- Add "Specific", "Contextual" & "General" Notes as an optional footer to all Notes. I think this is important – part of the difficulty in understanding some philosophers is knowing what their background assumptions are, as this influences what they take to be “obvious” or “a given”.
- Create automatic key-word referencing (ie. to Notes in the Notes-Group "Personal Identity").
- Improve flexibility of password-protected areas (ie. multiple areas, with different log-ons).
- Allow the option to concatenate Notes in the Printed version (ie. linearly embed them essay-style), rather than treating the hyperlinks as footnotes – but still keep the hyperlink & cross-referencing in place. The difficulty here is the need for linking passages to make the text run smoothly.
- Fix "American" date formats in Electronic Resources page + add scrolling titles.
- Improve flexibility of reading lists attached to printable version of Notes (different sort orders, priority items only, etc).
- Book Comments: if there are explicit internal links to files in Book Comments, they cannot work both in the BookSummary and BookPaperAbstracts, which are at different directory levels. So, don’t put them in the Comments – only in the Abstract.
- Books by Location: the jump table led to an invalid location. I bodged the data, by deleting an unused location, and didn’t properly investigate.
- Books to Notes: There’s an issue if a note changes from Secure to non-Secure, but I bodged the data and didn’t try to fix it.
Items Completed in 3Q14
- Created a suite of programs to extract data and calculate Butler-IMPs and Cross-IMPs from the travellers on Bridgewebs Teams events, and output ranking-lists to the Web.
- Created a progress-tracker4 for my Thesis.
- Improved error-recovery where encoding fails for Notes links.
- Started to split Paper Abstracts from Write-ups.
- Continued working on my Spider and started to use it to clean up my website by diagnosing broken links.
Items Completed in 2Q14
- Created multiple secure areas on my website, so that Documentation is no longer hiding under my Supervision Notes.
- Created the facility for Author Narratives.
- Added extra linkages between pages (eg. on Author).
- Wrote routines to import old (but missing) archived Notes into the database so they can be (and have been) re-exported in the current format.
- Used a clone of my Spider routines to create a backup and restore system.
Items Completed in 1Q14
- Created a “Website Regeneration Dashboard” to show when the various elements of my website have been refreshed, and how long the routines took to run. Links to this appear in the footer to each webpage.
- Improved the regeneration routines for the various classes of webpage, and got them to record statistics in support of the above.
- Repaired / updated my Website site-map.
- Made a lot of improvements to my Site generators, in particular the pesky bug that stopped the links to archived Notes working correctly.
Items Completed in 3Q13
- Enhancements to "Books & Papers Collection Categorised" Pages
- "Single Image" development for Notes
- Allowed "Authors Works Lists" to be linked-to from Notes
- Created Archived Notes Re-Export facility
- Converted Tables to CSS3 standard
- Re-engineering Monthly Reporting on Change of Year
- Re-engineered Time-Recording, so that actuals are held against Papers (and Books) in a separate table, rather than as columns by year in the Papers / Books tables themselves. Retained the grand totals only.
- Simplified / Re-engineered Notes processing
- Sorted conflicts between Subject, Topic & Sub-Topic IDs
- Used CSS in all manually-crafted and automatically-generated pages
- Improved linkages between Book/Paper Lists and Summaries or Abstracts
Items Completed in June 2013
- Some pages render oddly in Chrome (and maybe other browsers) – investigated5.
- Reduced the size of photos (to make the pages quicker to load).
- Improved the linkage between Papers and Books.
- Improved error-recovery where encoding fails for links to Books, Papers and Authors. That is, where one of my bespoke tags (eg. +B6) doesn’t match with its corresponding anti-tag (eg. B+).
- Wrote the Code Documenter.
- Created a code & query archive facility as part of the above.
- Created “Consolidated Bridge Results” webpages.
- Developed "Books by Location" Pages
- Improved "Concatenated Notes" production
- Improved "This Month's Summary" Reporting
- Improved Quarterly Reporting
- Merged Philosophy & Bridge Databases
- Replaced macros with code.
- De-bugged the Spider.
Items Completed prior to June 2013
See separate document7 (which requires updating).
In-Page FootnotesFootnote 3: These items ought to be fixed, but it’s not currently worth the bother.
Footnote 5: Fixed – it was very long blank-free URLs in the Source column. I now call my “WebRef” function to convert these to hyperlinks.
Footnote 6: Naturally, I can now say precisely what I mean, by using a plus-sign, as it no longer causes the process to fail!
Live Version of this Archived Note
Table of the 4 Earlier Versions of this Note
Table of the 9 Later Versions of this Note
|This version updated
||Reference for this Topic
||981 (Website - Outstanding Developments (2014 - September))
||Status: Web-Tools (2019 - June)|
Summary of Notes Links from this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Summary of Note Links to this Page
To access information, click on one of the links in the table above (if any).
Text Colour Conventions
- Blue: Text by me; © Theo Todman, 2019