ESSEX BRIDGE CLUBS - WEBSITES - GUIDELINESThis page outlines the parameters and options available for those "mini" websites maintained by Theo Todman (the ECBA webmaster).
For a list of Duplicate Bridge Clubs in Essex follow this link to the ECBA Website.
Many bridge clubs in Essex have their own websites.
- The ones known to the Essex County Bridge Association (ECBA) can be found by following this link.
- All things considered, it is best for even small clubs to maintain their own sites - preferably using Bridgewebs, which offers a cheap and easy solution.
- But it may be that some clubs don’t have anyone willing to run a website, or can't yet see the benefit of having one.
- If this applies to your club, read on ...
Basically, EACH OF THESE MINI-WEBSITES (click the link) is provided free of charge as a public duty by Theo Todman, the ECBA webmaster, and uses results that have been previously published and are therefore in the public domain, and shows ...
- Club details, logo, and a couple of anouncements
- Historical results as scored,
- Individual Combined, Men's & Ladies' and Partnership ladders sequenced by average %age,
- Quarterly & Monthly Partnership ladders sequenced by average %age,
- Individual Master Point ladders sequenced by total LPs,
- Multi-session Club Championships where held,
- Year-on-year Individual "Improvers" ladders,
- Individual Handicap tournaments,
- First-time winners lists,
- 70s Club,
- Club Blog.
The ladders link directly to the results for the sessions, from %age-lists in descending order. Butler Pairs and Teams events in the Pairs Ladders use cross-IMP scoring as per the NGS.
Parameters allow for:-
- Exclusion of specified individuals from ladders (for privacy reasons),
- Truncation of ladders below a certain average %age or number of players,
- Ladders or championships based on “best x” sessions (the %ages of sessions discounted are
scored through), and
- Selection of the start-month for the club year.
- You don't have to have Ladders or Championships - if you just want a results archive that's fine.
I am willing to create and maintain one of these sites for any club in Essex, whether affiliated to the ECBA or not. All you need to do is let me know and provide the basic details, and add me to your results circulation list. Ladders will only start to build up once you've joined, but if you have old Scorebridge or Jeff Smith electronic results files in web-page form, these can be added in.
I'm open to suggestions for adding extra features. Most of the software I've written has now been incorporated.
These sites are generated automatically so - now the computer code has been written - don't take up much of my time to keep up to date. But:-
- I spend little time checking them, so if anyone finds anything wrong, please let me know and I'll do what I can to fix the problem.
- A frequent issue is the mis-spelling of names, so that the same individual appears more than once in a ladder. I have ways of fixing this, if I know, but won't always spot that this has happened. So, tell me if it does.
- These sites are offered on a "best endeavours" basis. I do not promise to live for ever or pass their maintenance on to my children. I will occasionally go on holiday, but will catch up when I'm back if not able to keep things running when away.
- If I haven't received your results, I can't use them in the ladders or store them in the archive. If a week's results should go missing, they can be supplied retrospectively, but don't expect me to chase you up for them.